Thursday, September 22, 2011

what it takes..

I've only been employed part-time for (calculating the amount of days I've worked so far) 9 days as an assistant librarian at a local school. I do have to emphasize that being a librarian is not as easy as it looks. Yes you might find them either walking around the library shelving books while telling others to have their library voices or you might find them behind the front desk, registering the books that you want to borrow under your name. But have you ever wondered how the librarian knows where to properly organized books? Have you ever wondered what the numbers and alphabets mean on the bottom spine of each book ?Have you thought who put down all the information of a certain book into the search system of the library? Have you,have you really? Take a moment to think..

Yes dear readers, these are the few not seen jobs of a librarian. It takes special love, skill and technique to be one. and my dear readers, I have to admit its not easy being a librarian but it is a very rewarding job. I say this because you are helping those who want to borrow books have an easy time. You get to see happy faces after they look thru the database and found the book in the specific shelf under carefully calculate dewey numbers.

dewey numbers is a system where...well I was not really thought how to calculate the dewey numbers just yet. I just got to the part of cataloging the new books into the library database. this means that I have to find the ISBN number of a book, then I have to find the author, the publisher, the copyright year, the specified audience of the book, the measurement of the book, total amount of pages.
after this is saved in the database, I then have to stick security magnetic strips in the books so that they trigger books that got out of the librabry without going into the borrowing system. smart no, so for those who wants to steal books beware. you will trigger several alarms in the library. Hahah.

well that's all for now, I will expand on the dewey numbers when I figure out how dh are calculated. till then my dear readers.

-zati-

No comments: